breeder n : a person who breeds animals [syn: stock breeder]
- Rhymes: -iːdə(r)
- A person who breeds plants or animals professionally.
- (gay slang; derogatory) A heterosexual; i.e. one whose sexual intercourse can lead to breeding.
- A type of nuclear reactor that creates material suitable for the production of atomic weapons. (See Wikipedia's article on fast breeder reactors.)
- In the context of "slang|derogatory": a person who has had or
who is capable of having children; a person who is focussed on the
rearing of their own children.
- 1729:"The number of souls in this kingdom being usually reckoned one million and a half, of these I calculate there may be about two hundred thousand couple whose wives are breeders; from which number I subtract thirty thousand couples who are able to maintain their own children, although I apprehend there cannot be so many, under the present distresses of the kingdom; but this being granted, there will remain an hundred and seventy thousand breeders." — Jonathan Swift A Modest Proposal
- Usage note: This meaning is generally either an ironic usage (as in the Swift quotation) or an intentionally offensive usage (by implying that parenthood is the same as animal husbandry).
A breeder is a person who practices the vocation of mating carefully selected specimens of the same breed to reproduce specific, consistently replicable qualities and characteristics.
This might be as a farmer, agriculturalist, or hobbyist, and can be practiced on a large or small scale, for food, fun, or profit.
breeder in German: Züchter
breeder in Dutch: Fokker (beroep)
breeder in Japanese: ブリーダー
breeder in Polish: Hodowca zwierząt
atomic pile, breaker, breeder reactor, bricks, broncobuster, buckaroo, cattleman, chain reactor, chain-reacting pile, cow keeper, cowman, dairy farmer, dairyman, equerry, farrier, fast pile, furnace, grazier, groom, heterogeneous reactor, homogeneous reactor, horseshoer, hostler, intermediate pile, lattice, neutron factory, nuclear furnace, pile, plutonium reactor, power reactor, power-breeder reactor, radioactive waste, rancher, ranchero, ranchman, reactor, reactor pile, rods, sheepman, slow pile, stableboy, stableman, stellarator, stock raiser, stockbreeder, stockkeeper, stockman, tamer, trainer, uranium reactor